Friday, November 11, 2011

Guilty Pleasure

You are either going to love me or hate me for this post. I'm deviating from the usual C+S format for two reasons:
1. Because you need to know about this amazing website I found.
2. Because I haven't gotten around to styling new models yet. Sorry.
You know how around this time last year everyone was so twitterpated with Pinterest.com? Yeah, well I never got on that train. I was too busy thinking Iwas too cool to waste hours pretending I had money to burn and "pinning" all sorts of gorgeous, useless things. Well, that was before I discovered Polyvore... Oh my.

Let me explain.
When I was little I had paper dolls. If you are like me and you grew up in the 90's and had an ever increasing need for more Barbies, your mom probably got fed up and bought you some paper dolls, which came with  about 10 perforated outfits that you punched out and dressed her in. Polyvore is just like that, except a gazillion times better.


Basically, you can choose from billions of articles of clothing on the internet and arrange them into these really fun fashion magazine like spreads, called sets.


If that weren't cool enough, there are also enough design options, text, backgrounds, pictures, and accessories to choose from that you will probably pee yourself with excitement.


And if that still wasn't cool enough, it then itemizes all of the pieces that you used in your set, and lists where you can buy them (and how much they cost, which is kind of a buzzkill, but I digress. The set I made below costs approximately three months rent for me).

Fall is Golden


Shift dress
$178 - warehouse.co.uk

Giuseppe Zanotti peep toe bootie
$1,095 - giuseppezanottidesign.com

Leather cross body handbag
$100 - topshop.com

Breagha bow jewelry
£11 - hannahzakari.co.uk

Privileged locket necklace
$95 - maxandchloe.com

Emilio Pucci printed silk scarve
£93 - theoutnet.com







 In all seriousness, Polyvore does have some practical applications: Planning a wedding? You can use this as a style-board/ color palette. Shopping for a specific outfit for an occasion or a trip? You can literally search all of the pieces you're looking for and then see what they look like together before you buy them.

The set above is a very rudimentary example of what you can do with Polyvore, but you get the gist. Now for the fashion moral in my set: I was inspired to put together a vibrant look for Fall/Winter, probably because I am deprived of winter weather in Southern California, and because I am tired of people talking about how they can only wear yellow in the summer/spring. Not true! Is this outfit winter-y? Yes. Is it sophisticated? Definitely. Is it the color of rotting leaves or pumpkins? Nooooooooo. Remember, Fall does not equal boring. Spice it up!

Now, I'm off to waste three more hours on Polyvore. 

P.S. I nearly forgot, here's the link to my Polyvore account: http://janaenicole.polyvore.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment