Friday, October 28, 2011

Self-made Style.



This week's featured fashion icon is not only well-dressed, she's also my design crush/friend, and is only my list of Blogs to Envy (see sidebar). On top of all that, she made the top she modeled for this shoot.


I know. Like me, you are all now aspiring to be Naomi Con. In fact, the first time I read her blog, she was debuting this cute little top, and I immediately thought "I need to have that." Sadly, I am not as talented with a sewing machine, and if I tried to make this, it would look like a doll apron, or an unfortunate fashion accident. At any rate, I am whole-heartedly in love with the funky, vibrant tribal-print juxtaposed with the gray silk.



I've seen a lot a tribal prints in mass quantities this season, and the trick to wearing it successfully is to use it in small doses, otherwise, you'll look like you massacred a small village and stole all of their area rugs. This single panel of bright color is just the right amount of pop. Paired with skinny burgundy corduroys, this is a perfect look for a casual fall outing, or an afternoon spent lazing around with gal pals (which is what we did for most of the day after this shoot). (Note, we also paired this top with black skinnies and red skinnies. All wonderful).



Naomi also bribed her cat into modeling for me. He was kind of a diva, but he was dressed to the nines so I couldn't resist.



Can't get enough of Naomi's style? Do yourself a favor and check her out at http://nearlynaomi.blogspot.com/

Style Profile: Naomi Con

C+S What do you do?
Naomi: I'm a marketing coordinator for Cordoba Guitars.

C+S: If you could go shopping in anyone's closet, who would it be and why?  
Naomi: Alexa Chung - everything she touches is pure gold. Jessie Baylin - girl can rock a mean pair of skinny jeans, booties, bangles, and a flowy top (she also inspired the title of my blog!) I also have to throw the Olsen twins in the mix...they are so ridiculous but I can't help but love their slouchy, comfortable street style. If I could hide behind buggy sunglasses all day, I   would.

C+S: Tell me about this top you made! Also, where'd you get that great printed fabric for the middle panel?
Naomi: I found the fabric in the fashion district downtown while on the hunt for ikat. The geometric shapes and bright colors drew me in and I knew I had a gem in my hands when other shoppers asked for the bolt once I had taken my share. Since it's such an overwhelming pattern, I knew I had to scale it down and balance it out with a neutral color. A little triangular strip down the center was the modern touch I was looking for. And let's be honest, I don't have the skills to sew anything too fitted - good thing slouchy is "in"!

C+S: How would you describe your approach to style?  
Naomi: Comfort and versatility! I try to buy pieces that are wearable for work and play...I also like to mix up my wardrobe with accessories and jewelry.

C+S: If you had to wear the same outfit every day for a month, but you could accessorize it however you wanted, what pieces would you choose?  
Naomi: I'd have to go with the classic little black dress. Can't argue with that. Then I'd accessorize with gold and silver jewelry. I love mixing metals. OOH and don't forget shoes! Since I'm saving all that money on clothes, I'd have to buy shoes to fit every occasion...booties, heels, wedges, flats...the works!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have been wanting to comment on your blog forever but didn't have a wordpress account til this week. I LOVE your blog, it's gorgeous! You have very stylish friends :)

    I started a travel blog, check it out if you get a sec, www.houseofmodernvintagetravel.wordpress.com
    Hope to hear form you!
    ~Margo

    ReplyDelete