Friday, November 25, 2011

Fashion Family




It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I have a younger, thinner, hotter sister who has more style than I do. That's how families work. One of you gets to be good looking while the other gets to be clever (okay, that's not really true. My sister Danielle is ALSO really smart).

She's smart enough to know that when I told her to bring clothes home over thanksgiving so I could put her on my blog, she packed not one, but five outfits. We're two peas in a pod. What's funny is we weren't always that way when it came to fashion. When we were little I would frequently dress in monochromatic outfits, with matching accessories and hair bows, and Danielle would wear floral night gowns with jeans, rain boots and sunglasses that she stole from our stuffed animals.



Somewhere along the way, I learned to loosen up a little and she learned that doll clothes are for dolls. What's funny though is although her sense of style is still very different than mine, I absolutely adore it.

Take the shoes she's wearing, for example. I would never in a million years buy these shoes. But somehow she manages to pull them off fabulously (due partly in fact to how she paired them with those black tights. I often remind myself that tights are a privilege and not a right, and are rarely an appropriate substitute for pants, but I digress.).



Nevertheless, this girl has got a keen eye for details. Her eclectic taste in fashion fits perfectly well with her trendy San Francisco surroundings, and I envy her ability to make layering look so chic.

Being more of an LA girl, I'm always that girl who thinks its totally fine to wear a cute, short dress in winter as long as you have a coat on, but I'm also the idiot who's legs are turning a lovely shade of blue if it dips below 60 degrees outside.

I'd like to take credit for contributing to Danielle's great sense of style, and being the fashionable big sister who taught her everything she knows, but let's face it, she's a force all on her own. Check her out here: somethinglikehunger.blogspot.com










Danielle Royston

C+S: What do you do? 
Danielle: I'm a student at San Francisco State. I'm majoring in Japanese and getting a certificate in Music and Recording Industries. 

C+S: If you could go shopping in anyone's closet, who would it be and why? 
Danielle: Definitely Audrey Hepburn. She inspire my hairstyle, by the way. I'd also like to shop in any SF State dance student's closet. They always look so cool. 

Vivienne Westwood is my favorite accessory designer.

Also, Ai Yazawa. She's a writer and artist, but she puts together outfits that I love and I have always dreamed of having.

C+S: Tell me about where you got those great shoes? 
Danielle:  I was in Japan this summer, visiting Harajuku, and I found them in this teeny, eclectic boutique. They were only like $10! I had been looking for a pair like them everywhere, and they were all like $40 or $50. At first, when I tried them on, I thought they were marked down because they were two left feet, but they turned out fine. 

C+S: Tell me more about the outfit you're wearing:
Danielle: I wear this outfit a lot, usually to my ballet class, but not with those shoes. It's easy to move in and light weight. I feel dainty in it, and I really like the empire waist that the skirt creates. It's a little poofy and it looks great up high. It's a combination of old pieces and new ones that I really like. 

C+S: Tell me about style in San Francisco, has it influenced the way you dress? 
Danielle: It absolutely has. In San Francisco, you can pretty much wear anything you want, so that has let me experiment more with the way I dress. It's also kind of a hipster-ish city, and I've always been a closet hipster, so I don't feel self conscious about wearing whatever I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment