Friday, October 21, 2011

A Flirty New Look for Fall.



I have to admit, when I first saw these asymmetric, short in front - long in back skirts and dresses popping up everywhere for Fall, I was not impressed. Initially, it struck me as the fashion version of a mullet, and there's a reason why no self-respecting person in 2011 has a mullet. Even so, when I saw this skirt on my friend Liz, I immediately had to recant my snap judgment.  It's edgy, and different, and paired with a romantic floral top, it really makes a statement. And that statement is not "I'm the fashion equivalent of a bad 80's haircut."

This chevron-striped skirt is also perfect for this 'Fall masquerading as Summer' weather we're having in Los Angeles right now. It straddles the seasons just well enough that you can wear it with chunky wedge sandals this week, and knee high boots and a heavy-knit cardigan next week.  


On top of the skirt's versatility, I can't get enough of the girly details in this look: the big bow belt, sultry cut-outs and romantic floral print. It's definitely first-date material.   



 Love her look? Get it here: http://brandymelvilleusa.com/


Style Profile: Liz Navarro

C+S: What do you do?
Liz:  English teacher by day, grad student by night, blogger by free time.

C+S: Who are your style icons?
Liz: I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time and love everything Audrey Hepburn wore. She's so classic. I also love Jennifer Aniston's simple chic-ness, and don't hate me for adding Lauren Conrad. 

C+S: Where'd you get that belt? I'm in love with it.
Liz: That belt cost about 3 euro in Florence. My husband bought it for me (to go with a dress) right before he proposed to me.


C+S: If you could go "shopping" in anyone's closet, who would it be?
Liz: Hmmmm. I'm not sure about whose closet I would shop in, but I do have a recurring fantasy about robbing a Nordstrom.


 C+S: What are your go-to style trends and fashion items?
  Liz: I love color, stripes, florals, animal print, the works. Rarely do I wear an outfit without some sort of print. I wear a lot of skinny jeans and leggings, or pencil skirts and jackets for work.              
             
C+S Secret: Liz was wearing a really cute pair of ruffled shorts under her skirt, because she was worried about the skirt flapping open in front. She was too classy to let me photograph them though.  How Audrey Hepburn of her.

1 comment:

  1. I am already in love with this blog.

    1st - what a beautiful model you got for the first post. She could look good in a a burlap sack (and has).

    2nd - I was always so jealous of Liz's closet. I never had a sister, but she was the closest thing I had to one, which came with the sister territory of borrowing clothes.

    3rd - I love this look. I think there is nothing more fascinating when two very different prints and designs are pull off in an outfit together. However, I have seen two very different prints and designs NOT pulled off together. So kudos to her boldness.

    4th - I am inspired to get off my computer and go get dresses for work. So for that I am thankful!

    ReplyDelete